Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I'm on a Plank-A-Thon, and I Hate It's Guts!

The PLANK. . .
Killing myself slowly in my own home.
It sounded like an Okay idea at the time.
That was before I did one.
Now I'm re-evaluating all my previous life decisions.
As will you, if you join my June Plank-A-Thon.
I'm on a mission (heaven, help me!)
To plank an accumulated 3 hours over the course of one month.
I'm only 5 minutos into this mess as of today.
Someone pointed out the fact that I have to plank for 6 minutes a day 
to reach the total 180 minutes for the month.
Thank you, whoever did the math for me.
180 MINUTES?!?!!!
Sounds like a butt-load more time than 3 hours!
Breathe. . . .
But this is why I blog about my woes, isn't it?
So that I can whine and gripe and all of you glorious people
get to tell me to keep going and not quit
and stop acting like a big, fat loser lady!  
So here's your chance! 
But before I open up the phone lines, 
maybe I should explain a bit about what I'm doing with this madness.
A lot of people (my hubby included)
wondered "what the heck is a plank"?
(And yes, I googled this business to give you the actual definition.)

The plank exercise ranked number 10 in the ACE study and is a great way to build endurance in both the abs and back, as well as the stabilizer muscles. This move is also great for building strength for push-ups, an exercise that requires quite a bit of core strength.
How to:
  1. Lie face down on mat resting on the forearms, palms flat on the floor.
  2. Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows.
  3. Keep your back flat, in a straight line from head to heels.
  4. Tilt your pelvis and contract your abdominals to prevent your rear end from sticking up in the air or sagging in the middle.
  5. Hold for 20 to 60 seconds, lower and repeat for 3-5 reps.
So there are a lot of variations of the "Plank" and I plan to try them all.
Goodness knows, I'm going to have to switch this up!
So here are photos of me attempting each and every style of planking.
Laugh if you want to, but only if you promise you'll try them too!

Basic Plank 

Aside from the fact that I look like I have a kangaroo pouch,
this is my favorite plank pose. 
It's the easiest for me.  
Just get in push-up position and hold it for 30 seconds.
I'm trying to go longer than that, 
but honestly, once I get to a minute
my body starts shaking uncontrollably.
And nobody wants that.
This is the most basic of poses and I recommend it for starting out.

Reverse Plank

This is the basic plank in reverse. 
I'm finding it mainly strengthens the backs of my arms 
and my back muscles. 
And after a good run, it's hard on my legs
as you place most of your balance on your heels and shoulders.

Stability Plank

This rendition of the plank works with your couch or a stability ball.
Place your shins on top of either one 
and balance your weight on your hands.
I'm trying to actually do a combo of push-ups with this method.
I say "try" because realistically I have NO upper-body strength. 
But it's building those arm muscles as well as my core.

Side Plank

This is the hardest plank variation for me.
Can't you tell by my intense facial expression?
I look like I'm having a complete blast! Ha!
Just balance your weight on your forearm and the side of the leg.
Some mix this pose and add leg lifts.
I will NOT be attempting this. . .
It was hard enough holding this pose for the 3 seconds it took
to take one measley photo before I toppled over. 

Dolphin Plank

This one wasn't the most fun either.
Place your forearms on the floor and balance your weight on your toes.
And hold for your designated time. 
Don't ask me why they relate this pose to a serene, delicate mammal.
I felt a bit like I had been captured and was being tortured for 30 seconds.
It was excruciatingly hard for me. 
I may stick to the basic plank until my "Core" feels better.

So what do you say?! 
 Suffer though the June Plank-A-Thon with me??

4 comments:

  1. I'm starting the 100 Push Ups Challenge tonight. I think I might die. Good job on the planks. The Side Plank definitely looks like more than I could handle.

    http://hundredpushups.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck to you!! That sounds like a challenge I will be taking up down the road.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the middle of a 90 day fitness challenge, otherwise I would join you! Maybe if you try to think about doing 2 minutes at a time, 3 times a day? So do 4 30 second planks at each morning, afternoon, and night. Since it's a static posture, you don't need to change clothes, you can do it quickly and easily, instead of having to hassle with changing clothes.

    You can do this! Just take it one plank at a time =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement! Good luck on your 90 day fitness challenge too! We got this!

      Delete