Friday, June 1, 2012

Don't Be The Victim


Lots of folks consider themselves victims. Some wear this distinction like a badge of honor.
Victims give up their own power. They make excuses. They blame. They want others to take care of them and make them feel good. They choose to not take responsibility for their own lives.
Guess what? You don’t have to be a victim.
Victimhood is a choice we make.
Things happen. These are our circumstances. The facts of life. They cannot be changed.
Lots of folks experience negative circumstances. Some of these circumstances are downright devastating. I've personally been through many of these "victimizing" circumstances. 
In our minds, we create thoughts about these circumstances.
The good news? We get to choose the thoughts we think.
Some choose the thought, “I am a victim.”
They create a life of misery, inaction and blame.
Maybe they think it’s the easier that way. Or perhaps they believe it’s their only option.
I want to tell you something. You don’t have to choose this path and it’s NOT easier.
I speak from experience. Boy, do I speak from experience!
The details don’t really matter.
I could have chosen victimhood. I didn’t.
Consider this…
  • What if you believed that some people are simply incapable of certain emotions or actions?
  • What if you believed that it wasn’t about you?
  • What if you believed that everything in your life unfolded just as it was supposed to?
We can choose to look back on our lives and see that we went through the exact challenges that were necessary to allow for the growth we needed.
I am grateful beyond belief for the challenges in my life. Every single one. I may not have understood them at the time. I may have fought tooth and nail to wish these challenges away. But there they remained. 
My circumstances have bestowed upon me the greatest of gifts. Gifts that no amount of money could ever buy. The gifts of forgiveness, empathy and unconditional love.
My thoughts about my circumstances created my results. A life filled with gratitude, joy and courage.
I decided one day that I am not a victim.
I chose a different path.
And you get to choose yours.
It really is that simple.

1 comment: